Saturday, December 10, 2005

Not Shakespearean, but a tragedy in itself...

While getting ready to head out to a little wine tasting event last evening, I notice that the dog is quiet, too quiet. I peek my head into the living room and see him attacking a plastic pill bottle. It was what every "mom" fears. Cooper had gotten a bottle of Excedrin and chewed through the bottle. There were little pills all over the floor.
What's a "mom" to do? I worried if he had eaten them...of course I have NO idea how many pills were in the bottle or how in the world he had gotten it. Do I take him to the vet and risk an enormous vet bill? What if he didn't eat any of them anyway? Well, I did what I thought was best. I went to the wine tasting. Damn right. I left him in his kennel. I figured I had about 2 hours before any signs or symptoms would occur.
I enjoyed the event and shared my sorrows of being a bad dog "mom." They were all sympathetic and asked, how many did he eat? I don't know, okay? I don't know.
Well, long story getting shorter is, I came home and he appeared fine. He continued to run and chew and chase the cats. I think he's okay. Worry no longer, maybe he just had a headache.

1 comment:

Lisathemommy said...

Hey there. I just read your blog. The story about the Excedrin is hysterical. I'm glad your dog was okay. You did the right thing by going to the wine tasting. One time my old dog ate a whole bottle of my thyroid medication. I didn't realize it until like a week later! OH WELL!!! I just recently started blogging also. Some of these blogs are hard to read and make absolutely no sense at all. Yours was well written and easy to read. Thank you for that. I'm actually expecting a new puppy in January. She won't actually be able to come home with me until the End of February or beginning of March. She is a shih-Tzu. She will be joining My husband, my 3 kids and myself. I'm very excited! Well, nice meeting you. HOpe to read more from you soon!