Monday, January 23, 2006

I don't want to be a teacher...

Part of my job at the high school is drug and alcohol prevention. By this, I guess, it means going into the classrooms of 9th and 10th graders and following a specific curriculum. I think this curriculum was written 5-7 years ago. Now, I understand that most of the infomation is still relevant, however, a little out of date for current teenagers.
So, today I had to do a 9th grade classroom. For the record, this is not my favorite thing to do. First of all, these kids could not care any less about me. They don't know who I am and they just think I am the lady that gives them candy. Yes, this is true, but I am also trying to teach the students about preventive measures.
There was one student with constant commentary, another that kept rolling her eyes, yet another that pretended to be serious etc, etc. I don't like saying "be quiet" or "listen up" every 2 minutes. I suck at teaching I guess. It doesn't help that the curriculum is flat and somewhat stale, but the kids just don't buy into it. I get so frustrated. Anyway, I guess it's a good thing I only have about 10 more to do in the coming weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another way to think about that... it has nothing at all to do with you or the curriculum. It has everything to do with being a 9th or 10th grader. I seem to remember rolling my eyes from time to time way back then.