Sunday, January 15, 2006

Ahh...the dog park

My last post encouraged the weather to turn around and surprisingly this weekend it did. It wasn't 60 degrees, but both days were in the 40's. Yesterday, Cooper's friend Iris, her owner and I went to the beloved dog park. Oh, it was nice, it's been months since our feet have walked the mushy, slushy, soiled grasses of the shoddy snow-fenced sorry excuse for a dog park. We love it though, we do, it's all we have.
In our dreams (Cooper and mine) the dog park would be surrounded by a 5 foot chain-link fence with benches, some play equipment, a few trees would be nice and oh, a drinking fountain for the canines. You see, the dog park is well frequented, there are always at least 4 other dogs everytime I have been there and right now it is a snowy, muddy mess with the fence half torn down and between yesterday and today I saw about 35 other dogs. I understand that the weather throughout the winter doesn't help the fence, but still I want to bitch about it.
But, I won't bitch about the fact that I got to go both yesterday and today. Today's experience wasn't my favorite and it was for sure Iris' least favorite visit. The dog park has it's own sub-culture, one where we all know each other's dogs names, but none of the owners know each other. I suppose you would have to actually know Iris to enjoy this story, but some background on her is that she is a smaller lab size and a very gentle and nice dog. She isn't aggressive by any means and she usually runs and plays very well with all of the other dogs.
Today was different.
There was a large white American Bulldog by the name of Roxy prowling around the park. She cornered Iris and was "playing." Well, the "playing" started to look a little rough when Iris started to whine and yelp. Other dogs were drawing near the incident as were some of the owners. Iris' owner ran over and pulled Roxy off of Iris...as any concerned owner would. Well, Roxy's owner had an issue with this and yelled at Iris' to "never touch that dog again (referring to Roxy), they were "playing." I have been at the park long enough to know what play is however, and this was rough.
So, Iris was traumatized and kind of hung around us for a little while. She then ventured out again and was attacked by Roxy again. There was a slight confrontation between owners and Iris was leashed and ready to be taken home. The stupid Roxy owner then leashed her and moved her to another area. Other dogs were taken home because Roxy is too aggressive and scares the other animals.
This isn't right, just so you know. The park is for off-leash animals, but not those that are not in control.
That's my rant. Can't wait for spring weekends at the park.

3 comments:

JB said...

Nice entries and commentary - I think you need one additional word in your "About Me" area -- if you know anything me...
Dad

Anonymous said...

Reads like a novel. I'll be letting Opra know. Seriously, it is well done and fun. I finally got my Wireless router set up yesterday. I bought it in July. Took all afternoon but am now working in the kitchen on my oatmeal before going for a work day.

Anonymous said...

Ah... the dog park drama. I love it. We have it here in Seattle as well. Yesterday there was a confrontation here where a dog OWNER bit another dog OWNER. I repeat: the owner bit the owner.