Sunday, June 25, 2006

Mother Nature...



Yesterday it was decided that a couple of friends and I would head to a small lake in a county park in Iowa. It's only about 1/2 hour drive and the sun was shining brightly without a cloud in the sky. Perfect afternoon for kayaking. We arrive at the lake around three o'clock, launch and kayak around for a bit. A short while later, we see dark clouds pending. Ugh, rain? How can this be? The sky was beautiful and bright and now what?
So, we go to shore and decide we better pack up. While loading the kayaks, the sprinkles start to fall. But not for long, it started to rain....hard. We hadn't even secured the kayaks to the roof of my wonderful Element and we had to get inside. The rain was coming down fast and it was cold. Then, the hail fell. HAIL!?? So, with neither of the kayaks secured and the wind swirling, it wasn't long before my friend's kayak flew off the top of the car and landed next to us. Crazy times. I don't know why we even bother! Well, yeah I do, because it's FUN.
With the kayaks secure, we leave the park and head for home. The drive was nice, the sky was blue and beautiful. The sun was also shining brightly, no dark clouds to be seen.
Mother Nature can be a real bitch! Gotta love South Dakota/Iowa weather.
Notice the pending clouds in the first picture! Argh!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Roberta!
OK, I know Lake Pahoja when I see it, and it just so happens that my little family and I were also there on Saturday. But after the hail!! We did some fishing (I HATE fishing, but the kids love it!) I found your link at Erin, Sam & Jeff's site. Had to check it out!
Julie