Thursday, May 25, 2006

Anticipation...and a little anxiety

A week from tomorrow I will be heading across the state on an adventure. Some friends and I are going camping in the Black Hills. Now, this causes me a little anxiety for a few reasons. The first being that I have only camped one other time in my life. Last August (with the same great folk) I ventured to Yankton and spent one night in a friend's tent. My couple friends are big campers and have everything one would need to camp, or so I am told. This is probably what made the experience fun, that and the weather was as close to perfect as South Dakota weather gets! The people I am heading west with are the type of people you want to do new things with. They are fun and easy-going. I don't have to worry about what they think or feeling stupid in any way. They are good people.
My next reason for feeling anxiety is that it's across the state. What if the weather turns to shit, what if I decide that I am a prissy little whiny brat and want to go to a hotel? Also, the bathroom thingy seems like it's kind of far from the campsites.
The last thing making me feel anxious is that there are going to be about 8 people. That's a lot of people to organize and manage. You see, I am a bit of a control freak and in situations that are new to me I kind of get uptight. I am not really an uptight person, but I have those tendancies. So I pray for patience and the ability to soak it all in.
I am so excited though too. It's been a long time since I have been to the Black Hills and there is so much to do. We are planning on kayaking, doing the Crazy Horse Volksmarch, going out for dinner, and mostly hanging out by the campfire with a beer. I know I'll have fun...I just have to keep telling myself that.
Say a pray for me....and for my parents, they are watching Cooper!!
The pictures are of the campsites we have reserved at the Sylvan Lake Campground in Custer State Park.


2 comments:

JB said...

Can you say tick city?

Anonymous said...

Have fun and don't worry about the rats or crawley things... I would think the the snakes get most of them.